Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Gixen via mobile - some suggestions for usability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the3coopers_as_guest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Gixen via mobile - some suggestions for usability Reply with quote

I have always used Gixen via Desktop PC , but have needed to use it via iPhone recently... I have some suggestions to improve usability:

A) On the Mobile Gixen site, please add a link back to the normal site, so can access announcements, the forum etc

B) On this Forum, I cannot find how to log in. It tells me my username is taken, but I cannot prove its me!

C) On this Forum, the AntiBot is really badly placed. Need to move it so its next to the input field (otherwise need to scroll heaps to find it). Remember, on a phone there is very little screen real estate once you enter a text field and the keyboard pops up Smile
- doesn't help that it randomly rejects the typed AntiBot code and/or changes it even when you've typed it correctly!

D) On this Forum > Post New Topic (or add new post) screen, the default Form Submit is on the Preview button, not the "Submit" (post) button. Therefore when you type on iPhone and hit GO it doesn't post, it does a preview instead, but the problem is that it's not apparent on a small screen that your post didn't work - I find this really annoying, please read on for explanation.

This is bad on a small screen because it drops the AntiBot code when you Preview, so throws an error on post submit. You see the error, so you type in the AntiBot Code again and on iPhone screen and hit "GO"... It then does a Preview and drops the AntiBot code again, but it's not noticeable so when you hit submit you end up with an error again
- very hard to explain, just try it.

E) I also posted a comment in Announcements that the iPhone App thread needs to me edited to state that App is not available, plus remove big yellow announcement on the main Gixen site. This needs fixing to stop people like me wasting time trying to find the App that doesn't even exist LOL

F) Also about mobile apps, there should be links to those Apps on the landing page that comes up to ask mobile users whether they want Mobile site or standard HTML site
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A) As you noticed, there is little space for anything else on the mobile site, and forum is not optimized for mobile anyway. If you need it, why don't you just create a bookmark?
B) There is no need to log in, almost all users, with few exceptions, post as guests. If you post a lot, email me and I will open a forum account for you.
C) As I said, forum is not optimized for mobile. However if you have a forum account you will no longer see captcha when posting.
D) Again, I am not sure I can fix this. The forum is a third-party software, and while I made some improvements to it, I am limited in what I can do about it. But with a forum account there will not be a captcha displayed, so that should help.
E) I added an announcement on the top of the thread saying that the app is temporarily unavailable.
F) You should see this on your iPhone, the choice is offered.
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B> the3coopers is already a registered forum user since 12 Aug 2007 from Sydney, Australia with 18 posts. You need to go back to the instructions that Mario provided when he registered that name for you and use the URL provided to log in to the forum, it is not available from any link on this site.
souraji

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Mobile App? Reply with quote

Is there a mobile app for Gixen? Any ideas of making one?
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:10 pm    Post subject: Mobile App?

Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 announcements in here about applications:

http://www.gixen.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

however my most recent understanding is that one of them has temporarily been restricted from availability for further updates.

The previous discussion on this thread was about accessing the Gixen site via a browser on a mobile device, when a different design of web interface is available.
the3coopers_as_guest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
B> the3coopers is already a registered forum user since 12 Aug 2007 from Sydney, Australia with 18 posts.

Yes, I know that Very Happy

Quote:
You need to go back to the instructions that Mario provided when he registered that name for you and use the URL provided to log in to the forum, it is not available from any link on this site.

There are no instructions....

Quote:
----- Original Message -----
To: <XXXXXX AT XXXXXX.com.au>
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2007 2:17 AM
Subject: Welcome to Gixen.com Forums

Welcome to Gixen.com Forums

Please keep this email for your records. Your account information is as follows:

----------------------------
Username: the3coopers
Password: XXXXXXXXXXX
----------------------------

Your account is currently inactive. You cannot use it until you visit the following link:

HXXP;//WXW.gixen.com/forum/profile.php?mode=activate&u=32&act_key=71d3b5ae02e84665

Please do not forget your password as it has been encrypted in our database and we cannot retrieve it for you. However, should you forget your password you can request a new one which will be activated in the same way as this account.

Thank you for registering.

My account is already activated, and remember I have logged into it 18 times in the past. But the way to log in has been removed, so I have posted as guest for years.

Maybe somebody could re-send the instructions to my registered email address?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
A) As you noticed, there is little space for anything else on the mobile site,

There is PLENTY of space to add a link:

hXXp://i.imgur.com/1LYGBis.png (change XX to tt)

Quote:
and forum is not optimized for mobile anyway.

Sorry, I am not talking about the forum. I am talking about the Gixen site.

Quote:
If you need it, why don't you just create a bookmark?

The Gixen site automatically REDIRECTS mobile users to a holding page with 2 choices:

hXXp://i.imgur.com/LMLP2mc.png (change XX to tt)

I had bookmarked the Mobile site... I actually didn't notice it was a dedicated URL. Anyway, when I wanted to post on the forum I then realised that there was no way to get back to the normal HTML site again from the Mobile Site's login page.

So I made a suggestion to add a link.

Hey, these are just suggestions - not criticisms. Surely it is not too hard to add small improvements that will improve the site for your clients, whilst costing you nothing and taking no coding effort? Wink
Cupid

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the3coopers_as_guest wrote:

Maybe somebody could re-send the instructions to my registered email address?

I have sent you a direct email from my personal email account to the account you used to register the3coopers on this forum.

Since I use a free email service you may find my message assigned to your Spam folder if it does not appear in your Inbox.

As an aside, I can't access the pictures in your later post at present, the site that holds them is timing out, for me.
the3coopers

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
As an aside, I can't access the pictures in your later post at present, the site that holds them is timing out, for me.

Yeah, this forum is set to block the beginning of the URL h__t:// as "spam". I couldn't even add them as inline pic using the IMG tags, hence the way that I linked them.

You need to edit the URL - Just open them by clicking, then change the hxxp to http
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the3coopers wrote:
Cupid wrote:

Yeah, this forum is set to block the beginning of the URL h__t:// as "spam". I couldn't even add them as inline pic using the IMG tags, hence the way that I linked them.

You need to edit the URL - Just open them by clicking, then change the hxxp to http

Yes, that wasn't the problem... (BTW with your forum id you should be able to post the originals)... the site that hosted them was having some trouble when I first tried to access them... but they have since resolved that issue and I have been able to see your images since then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.