Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Lost snipe due to HTTP Timeout

View previous topic :: View next topic  
krem7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:01 am    Post subject: Lost snipe due to HTTP Timeout Reply with quote

Status (main): HTTP TIMEOUT (77)
Your maximum bid: 1000.00
Current price: 560.00
Item: 192420971018

Very nice, I was waiting about a year to find a piece like this and I lost the auction because something went wrong. What does this error mean in this context and what went wrong here?
Rickajho

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did not mention any status for the mirror server. Is it safe to conclude you aren't paying for the mirror service?

At it's most basic level that message indicates a problem accessing/logging in to eBay. It's a rare 1 in 1,000-ish error now for a non mirrored bid. I do not believe anyone paying for the mirror service has reported a snipe fail at all for a timeout error now that gixen is "linked" directly to eBay.

Beyond that - the "why" it happened - might be at a deeper level that Mario could look at in the logs. Like if eBay sent out a request for you to confirm some of your account information as part of the bid attempt - which is something gixen cannot do for you.
krem7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I'm not a subscriber - I didn't think it was necessary to subscribe to avoid missing snipes due to technical problems at Gixen's end. I didn't get anything at all from eBay, just that email from Gixen, the "end auction" email mentioning the error after it was too late for me to do anything.

Rickajho wrote:
You did not mention any status for the mirror server. Is it safe to conclude you aren't paying for the mirror service?

At it's most basic level that message indicates a problem accessing/logging in to eBay. It's a rare 1 in 1,000-ish error now for a non mirrored bid. I do not believe anyone paying for the mirror service has reported a snipe fail at all for a timeout error now that gixen is "linked" directly to eBay.

Beyond that - the "why" it happened - might be at a deeper level that Mario could look at in the logs. Like if eBay sent out a request for you to confirm some of your account information as part of the bid attempt - which is something gixen cannot do for you.
juangrande

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are various reasons this error could occur. Often, it is a problem that occurred on eBay's end. As Rickajho pointed out, a mirror subscription acts as insurance against missing a snipe because of this when the problem is at Gixen's end. For more, see the threads here and here.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra

Last edited by juangrande on Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject:

Rickajho

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this case is doesn't appear to be a technical problem on the gixen end of things. The service did, after all, attempt to execute the snipe. But the interwebs is far from perfect (let me tell you how much fun ComCast is in my area...) especially for a timing critical thing like sniping. The mirror service hugely improves your odds of beating any technical internet glitches by placing the bid from two different servers at two different physical locations. What then matters is that one of the two servers gets there first.

Fault tolerant redundancy is a good thing.
krem7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what happened exactly? All I'm getting is "It wasn't us!" and trying to pass the buck to eBay. I'm not sure of the purpose of subscribing if you're not sure what went wrong when things do go wrong.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krem7,

No one is passing the buck to anyone - you see, I don't have a 3 feet cable between Gixen servers and eBay. There is typically 10-15 nodes between Gixen servers and eBay, and problem may have happened on any one of them.

In addition, note that it is by design of the TCP protocol that congestion is detected by packet loss. So it's normal to sometimes experience timeouts. When I say "sometimes" this is still relatively rare - but you can, on average, expect 1 in 500 requests to time out.

Gixen Mirror is a way for Gixen to generate income, sure, but it also serves a real purpose - an additional server sending bids from a different location practically eliminates a chance of failure.
juangrande

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To put what Mario explained in mathematical terms, with a mirror subscription sending your snipes from two independent and geographically distant servers, the chance of failure would be about 1 in (500)^2; that is, about 1 in 250,000. So, Mario is justified in claiming that a mirror subscription effectively eliminates the chance of failure.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
reproducer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:13 am    Post subject: Same error yesterday Reply with quote

I got the same error for a bid yesterday, maybe due to a related problem:

Beendet:
18. Jan. 2018 06:48:11 MEZ

ENDED 5.00 5.00 EUR HTTP TIMEOUT (77)

Regards
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reproducer,

Was it a Mirrored snipe, if so, what is the status on the Mirror tab ?
reproducer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, just free account.
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so as Mario stated, further up his thread you should expect perhaps 1 in 500 snipes from a single server to end that way, if you find with the free service that you are getting more than that it might be related to your account in some way, perhaps a bidding restriction placed by Ebay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.