Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

ajax (or at least javascript) to update prices...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flippinbits

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: ajax (or at least javascript) to update prices... Reply with quote

I've read where you mentioned that obtaining the price real-time is server-intensive...

Why not push that functionality down into the browser, so that it's my computer doing the work of obtaining the current price and displaying it on the screen.

Further, the "time remaining" could be implemented in javascript such that the clock ticks down constantly, but doesn't hit your servers.

-Ken
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true... But I don't know how to do it... My javascript skills are close to nill...
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Ken could write/provide the code to do it?

I've used javascript... (don't like it much I must admit and prefer server side Java).... but I wouldn't have a clue how to write an eBay lookup of the current price using it, that involves connecting to eBay, looking up the auction and then screen scraping the current value. I could do it using server side Java, but gixen already does that quite adequately in its own way.

The counter wouldn't be too difficult though, I'm sure there are free javascript implementations of that sort of thing... I've certainly used javascript calendars and clocks.
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just remembered why I don't like javascript... Its a nightmare to get it to work with all the different variants of browser and then all the different versions of those browsers, with different JVMs installed... witness the problems with getting the greasemonkey script to work with different browsers.

In addition many disable javascript in their browsers for security reasons, so that would have to be taken into account, otherwise many users would not be able to, or even want to, use gixen at all.

Upon reflection I think its probably a non starter.... however Ajax may address some of these issues, I've heard its good, and I know some major websites are considering its use, but I've never used it.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject:

nochkin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are too many website depending on javascript to be on.
I think less people turn it off these days (it used to be more long time ago).

Well-written javascript works on most browsers without huge nightmare Wink

Ajax is using javascript as well. If someone disabled it, it won't really work.
In this case some websites offers two version -- with javascript and without. Which needs much more time developing and maintaining of website... You know where I'm following...
michellekg

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject: Help with JS and ajax Reply with quote

mario wrote:
That's true... But I don't know how to do it... My javascript skills are close to nill...

I can totally help you with that. I know JS, PHP and MySQL (I have several big Russian sites on my shoulders), so if your site is using at least PHP, then it's kinda really easy to implement, for example, bids editing without reloading page twice (well, without reloading at all). What's more important, the old method of editing can also be left in place.

Other basic usability issues can be addressed as well.

All for free, of course - I started using Gixen several days ago and wanted to thank you for this wonderful service. That $ 6 is jsut not enough )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Suggestions and Ideas All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.