Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

iOS Gixen App Beta

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:02 pm    Post subject: iOS Gixen App Beta Reply with quote

UPDATE (Oct 12): iPhone app is temporarily unavailable while it's being updated by John Ray for iOS7. Our apologies for any inconvenience.

UPDATE (June 14): Both iPhone and iPad apps are now available in the Apple store. Search for them with term "ForBidding".

====
John Ray has completed the first iOS App for Gixen. At this point it is for iPad only, but John tells me the iPhone version is coming too.

I installed the beta version on my iPad mini, and I was very impressed. The interface is very original, very different than what I expected to see, and much better than I hoped. You can actually see the ebay listing when adding a snipe.

The app is made completely on top of Gixen API, so in order to use it you have to be a mirror subscriber.

John is now looking for beta testers, and he will follow up with more information after this post. If able to, please help John make his app even better.

Last edited by mario on Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:01 am; edited 7 times in total
Jray

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: ForBidding for iOS Reply with quote

Hello all,

First, thank you to Mario for the introduction!

I'm looking for iPad users to test my iOS client, focusing initially on iPad users, then expanding to the iPhone in a few weeks. The client should be fully functional on the iPad - meaning that you can actually use it *for real* with Gixen right now. There are, of course, several caveats that you should be aware of before signing up:

1. I really would like feedback. If you have time to install builds once or twice a week and run through a basic set of actions, you're a good candidate to test!

2. I'd like targeted feedback. There are a list of things that I know need attention, but they're "small stuff" programmatically. Testing needs to focus on what you'd be doing on a day-to-day basis, not trying to create bizarre scenarios to crash the app. If you're doing something normal (setting a snipe) and it crashes - yeah, I need to know.

3. The beta is running through Testflight. You'll need to register with testflightapp.com, and in a day or two you'll get an email telling you that you can install the app, along with instructions. I can't debug testflight, so you're on your own until you get it installed.

4. No eBay credentials are stored outside of the app, or sent to me in any way.

5. The app IS (behind the scenes) logging a ton of information to Testflight (including crashes). Even if you don't have time to provide me with feedback directly, just running the app helps!

Things I know need handled, and will be (if any of these make you uncomfortable, please don't sign up just yet.):

1. Error checking for network conditions, etc. isn't turned on. If a snipe or something Gixen-y fails, it will be retried, but more low-level failures aren't currently presented to the user.

2. There are some pesky crashing bugs that occur when you'd least expect it. Mostly related to smoothly merging items into the snipe or watch lists. If it crashes, I need to know what was on the screen and what you did to make it happen (if anything).

3. iOS 6+ only. I may extend that back a bit at launch, but right now, I only need iOS 6 users.

4. Placeholder graphics, textures, and icons are likely items that appeared on a Google search. They will be replaced at launch with original artwork, or chosen from a properly licensed source.

Finally - two features that you probably won't notice until you found them accidentally. One of them is the coolest part of the app, in my opinion:

1. If you copy text to your clipboard that looks like it contains an auction ID, then hit the "+" button, you'll be asked if you want to view the item (and subsequently set a snipe). If your clipboard is empty, you'll just be prompted to enter an auction ID.

2. You can use the built-in browser to browse to new auctions and immediately set snipes. Auction IDs should be recognized and the browsed item should appear in the little "dashboard" where you can set a snipe.

That's all, no more numbered lists Smile If you're still interested after reading all that, click this testflight link to get started! Thank you!

http://tflig.ht/WJiLVh

--- John
Jray

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Universal binary ready for testing! Reply with quote

My iOS Gixen client now works on all modern iOS devices. iOS 6 only at this time. If you have an iPhone or iPad and would like to beta test, please sign up on the testflight website:

http://tflig.ht/XTX2d1

Thanks!
Jray

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: ForBidding - Submitted to Apple Reply with quote

Hello all,

ForBidding has been submitted to Apple for approval. I'll be following up with screenshots soon.

Folks who signed up to beta-test but didn't hear back - I'd like to get you guys involved in helping evaluate some new features/bug testing, but you've got to register a device on Testflight!

Thanks all!
John
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: ForBidding - Submitted to Apple

mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you John. Please let me know when it's approved, I will be your first customer.
Jray

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: ForBidding Support Site Online Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in seeing the app prior to launch, I just put up the support site:

http://forbidding.placeforstuff.com

Best wishes,
John
antonio4816

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: app not available in Spain? Reply with quote

can't download it at spanish app store? perhaps no EU at all?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antonio, please contact John at http://forbidding.placeforstuff.com/feedback/

He may have to do something in order to make it available in the Spanish app store.
fonaticalbuyer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing on the UK App Store either? Would it be easier to list which territory(ies) can download the app?

Steve
starick2002

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Bought it, installed it, can't logi Reply with quote

I keep trying to login with Ebay Usetname and password that is the same for Gixen and I keep getting Your login information is invalid!
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please email me and include your username.
jedison

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Availability Reply with quote

App available on US App Store, but not Belgium.
Berkshire_UK

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Available in Europe? Reply with quote

Any idea when it will be available in the UK?
fonaticalbuyer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No reply from author here or direct via his website.

Not a great start on the (potential) customer support front...
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will email John and ask him. What countries are you asking about? So far I understand UK and Belgium.
fonaticalbuyer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK please Mario. Can't find anything when I search...might be me I suppose...!
jackfbuchanan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: ForBidding? Reply with quote

Good morning, I just found the Gixen website and paid for the mirror option so I could download the ForBidding companion app to my iPad mini. I get the spashscreen when launching the app and after 5-10 seconds it 'crashes'. I'm on an iPad mini iOS 6.1.3. Has anyone reported something similar or is there something I can try on my end?

Thanks in advance,
Jack
jackfbuchanan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:29 am    Post subject: ForBidding? Reply with quote

Oops, never mind. I powered off my iPad and restarted it and it's working. Thanks!
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for letting me know Jack. I also have an iPad mini, but I didn't know ForBidding works on it, thought it would work only on full size iPad.
fonaticalbuyer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still nothing on where this app can be downloaded from?

We keep being told "UK" but searches for "Gixen", "For Bidding", or "Forbidding" on the UK Apple App Store reveal no results.

Disappointed the author can't be bothered to come here or reply to messages on his website and explain...

Is it that tricky a question? Sad
P38arover

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not available on Australian iTunes site either. Blasted iTunes won't let me download from the US site.
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is iTunes the same place as the Apple Store?

It is a genuine question, I have never owned any Apple equipment or bought any of their other products.

Is it not possible for Non-US buyers to purchase software from the American site?
cyber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:47 am    Post subject: US App Store Reply with quote

GREAT!

NOT

Thanks for getting me all excited about this app, and then limiting it to the USA. Great. Thanks a lot.
cyber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: US App Store Reply with quote

GREAT!

NOT

Thanks for getting me all excited about this app, and then limiting it to the USA. Great. Thanks a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would like to be able to use this in the UK. I started using Gixen last month and think it's a great tool, but believe it would be easier to use on my iPhone with an app.
new fan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: iOS app Forbidding Reply with quote

I've tried to find this for a couple days (Oct 1, 2013) in the USA app store (iTunes) and it isn't showing up.

Did it get pulled? Name changed?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last I heard from John he was transitioning the app to iOS7, but he said at the time the app will be free until then. I am surprised myself that it's not available any longer. I will email John.
fletch8538

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: US App Reply with quote

I don't see the app in the US iTunes store. Do you know when this will be available again?
New Fan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
The last I heard from John he was transitioning the app to iOS7, but he said at the time the app will be free until then. I am surprised myself that it's not available any longer. I will email John.

I wonder if apple removed apps that will not run iOS7.

Let us know what you find out, and thank you for all your hard work. (john too)
John

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: ForBidding update! Reply with quote

Hello all,

Sorry for the confusion. After testing ForBidding on the iOS 7 release, there were some obvious problems that made it unusable on the iPad. I didn't want to keep an application posted that wouldn't work (there are already 1-2 negative reviews from people trying to use the app under situations where the outcome is unpredictable).

Anyway, I am upgrading it for iOS 7. The iOS 7 release will support non-US eBay sites, have a new "iOS 7-esque" appearance, and fix a few bugs along the way. I really like how its looking, and I hope I can get it out to everyone in the near future.

When it goes live again, I'll be posting it for free as a "Thank you" for your patience.

Best wishes,
John

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario could you please edit the first post in this thread to add a comment that the app is temporarily unavailable

Also edit or remove the big yellow announcement on the main page!

Cheers
jimlynnjulian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: iOS7 app Reply with quote

Hi,

Just downloaded your iOS7 version of the app. Not sure what is going on. Asks for login. My eBay login does not work with the app (ForBidding) but does work with the website. Is there any difference between the app and web versions?
If two bidders bid with the same characteristics, the only difference being one uses gixen and the other gixen mirror, will the mirror version always win?

Thanks,
Jim J.
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are differences between the way that your credentials get to Gixen via this App and the Gixen website so it is possible, on some occasions, for you to be able to log in via the website but not via an external application like this. I think this is most likely if you use characters like the question mark (?) in your credentials. This type of problem is best sorted out via email since as this is an open forum you can not safely discuss details of you credentials here.

Mario's email contact details are on the 'Contact' tab above, when you send a message please include your Ebay id, but not your password because email is not secure enough for passwords either.

Regarding the use of the Mirror or Main... when you have a subscription both of these servers work independently for you on all non grouped snipes, from different locations within the US.

The aim is that you should never have just the Mirror trying to bid for you, that only occurs when there is a problem with the Main server, which is never deliberate but does inevitably happen occasionally.

If the offsets for the Main and Mirror are always the same (this is the only aspect that you are able to vary between the servers in any case) then it is random which server will most likely win... if however you have a larger offset for one of the servers then, because that bid is scheduled to be placed first, then it is more likely that the bid from that server will win.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't see the app in the UK App Store. Should it now be available?
Australia User

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see this app in the Australia App Store.
Is it possible to use this on the .au site?
Nitrousnutter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too cannot see the app in the uk App Store, I press the link to it and all I get is a white square. Is this app going to be available in the uk as I use my ipad and iPhone a lot for eBay and an app would be a great help.

Thanks Jason from the UK
madamxmedia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Not available USA Reply with quote

I cannot find any version (iPhone or iPad) of ForBidding right now in the USA App Store.
thedave

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like this is gone, and given the lack of news here, is it fair to say it's not coming back?
Mike

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I rebuilt my iPhone the other day and noticed that it is not in the app store anymore either. Thought I was loosing my mind and then saw this thread. I have it still installed on my ipad. I think there is a way to extract the application files. I'll play around with it and see if there is a way for me to do that and then post it for others.....It would be good to know what happened though. I really liked the tool.

Mario any comments?
Rickajho

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory - it was last being developed for iOS8.

In practice - it appears none of the versions ever made it past beta testing.
vinnycuz

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we getting this app back for IOS?
Mplate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: iOS for Gixen Reply with quote

I was able to use the application a few years back on my iPhone and iPad. Loved it. It was under my folder of most used utilities. The interface was easy and intuitive and I was totally sold on the application. Immediately subscribed to mirror service. I’m disappointed to see that there really hasn’t been any follow-on work done to move development forward. When the integration with eBay occurred my app stopped working and unfortunately no longer functions. I honestly would pay a premium for the app integration with my phone assuming it came with integrated mirror service etc. Mario anything that you can comment on here or, like others have postulated, the iOS integration is not something we should ever expect…..?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working on a iPhone app, but it will take a bit to get it released. Note that the app you used was a third-party app, and I have no control over it at all.
eBayer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: IOS App Reply with quote

Please add an IOS app.
Blagbox

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add my voice to requests for iPad / iPhone app, though I'm sure it's not Mario's priority at the moment...what, with replying to all the whingers moaning about having to wait 20 SECONDS when logging on coz they're too tight to have one less BigMac meal a year and buy a subscription instead. Very Happy

Maybe some tech whizz out there could design one?
Mr658

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What iOS versions is the app available on?
I’d like to confirm before upgrading to iOS 15 or (dare I say) 16..
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was the most recent comment that Mario made about App development:

https://www.gixen.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10790
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: