Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Gixen - a great little program but password weak fault again

View previous topic :: View next topic  
yellow_plastic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Gixen - a great little program but password weak fault again Reply with quote

Gixen is a great little program but now is seriously faulty!
I have used Gixen for 3 weeks perfectly, then I upgraded my account and 20mins later a problem with weak password appeared for the very first time?
So I changed my Ebay password to make it stronger (max yellow bar)
All fine for a day and now the same weak password warning again.
What can i do now?
Thanks G
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gixen will show "weak password warning" only when your snipe list is empty, to make it less disturbing. If you are convinced your password is strong enough (as eBay indicates), you can ignore the Gixen warning, as you will see it only when your snipe list is empty.

Gixen criteria of a strong password is simple (and probably more stringent than ebay's) - at least 6 different characters in your password, and both letters and numbers used.
yellow_plastic

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Gixen - a great little program but password weak fault again Reply with quote

Hi Thanks for quick reply,
a) I still see the warnings when I had 4 scheduled item in Gixen. (My password has 7 different characters and then 3 different numbers)

b) I didn't quite understand your reply:
Gixen will show "weak password warning" only when your snipe list is empty, to make it less disturbing.
An empty list disturbing ? why all these red warnings if my password is secure? they just give me less confidence that my bid will even happen.
Everything seems fine one day and then the next 'warning, warning' messages.
Any advice appreciated.

Thanks G
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Gixen - a great little program but password weak fault a Reply with quote

yellow_plastic wrote:
My password has 7 different characters and then 3 different numbers

It can't be; Your password may have 7 characters, but not unique ones. For example, aabbccaa has 8 characters, but only 3 are distinct: a, b and c.

yellow_plastic wrote:
An empty list disturbing ? why all these red warnings if my password is secure? they just give me less confidence that my bid will even happen.

No, empty list is not disturbing, but seeing such message in red bold letters above your snipes all the time would be. This is why the warning message is shown only when your snipe list is empty, before you start adding snipes. When you add snipes, you already ignored the warning, so why show it again?

As for the warning, I wish I had the same algorithm to judge strength of passwords as ebay does. Unfortunately I don't. Hence, I introduced my own that may have false positives, which is still better than false negatives and then failed snipes.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Gixen - a great little program but password weak fault a

yellow-plastic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Gixen - a great little program but password weak fault again Reply with quote

Hi My password 'has' 7 'different' characters and three 'different' numbers as I stated earlier. And today 8 of my bids COLLAPSED AGAIN because of password security. I explained my password stucture and what happened before and now you don't accept what i am telling you?
It seems you have nothing else to offer , seems clear that GIXEN no longer works.
I would like to be proved wrong as this is my first experience with online bidding and i must say so far it has been a disaster.

Note: For others to note:Everything went bad the moment I upgraded Gixen! For three weeks on GIXEN FREE everything was perfect!
Now I have an Ebay password I don't really want and have had 90% of my bids cancelled .

Can you advise.
Thanks Graham
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Gixen - a great little program but password weak fault a Reply with quote

yellow-plastic wrote:
Hi My password 'has' 7 'different' characters and three 'different' numbers as I stated earlier. And today 8 of my bids COLLAPSED AGAIN because of password security. I explained my password stucture and what happened before and now you don't accept what i am telling you?

You are mistaken. I guarantee you that your password does not contain 7 different characters. It's only 5.

yellow-plastic wrote:
It seems you have nothing else to offer , seems clear that GIXEN no longer works.

I guarantee you that it does work.

yellow-plastic wrote:
I would like to be proved wrong as this is my first experience with online bidding and i must say so far it has been a disaster.

Please listen to me, and go to eBay and change your password. It's way more productive than arguing here, because the problem you are having will be gone in a matter of minutes.

yellow-plastic wrote:
Note: For others to note:Everything went bad the moment I upgraded Gixen! For three weeks on GIXEN FREE everything was perfect! Now I have an Ebay password I don't really want and have had 90% of my bids cancelled .

Again, the problem is not in Gixen, but if you are unhappy with the service, please email me and I will refund your payment.
yellow_plastic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Gixen - a great little program but password weak fault again Reply with quote

I think I have just seen the problem: My password on Ebay is correct (secure).
But Gixen was using my old Ebay password. I hadn't changed in in Gixen , only in Ebay.

Ok , that is my fault I guess.I assumed Gixen updated its Ebay password by looking to my Ebay .
Gixen had no problem looking at what I had in my listings.
How can it do that if it had the wrong password?

Gixen had still worked with the old password allowing me to place bids on items that appeared in Gixen.
This worked fine until the Gixen made the final bid and obviously only then realized it had the wrong password. I have now updated the Gixen password!

I shall set one for test tomorrow to see if all is well now.

G
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Gixen - a great little program but password weak fault a Reply with quote

yellow_plastic wrote:
I think I have just seen the problem: My password on Ebay is correct (secure).
But Gixen was using my old Ebay password. I hadn't changed in in Gixen , only in Ebay.

Ah Sad. Gixen keep hash of your last password that was used to successfully log in. This reduces number of calls to eBay (and is quite a needed feature - otherwise eBay starts making problems occasionally). So when you change your password at eBay, Gixen does not know this until you log in to Gixen with your new password, and it allows you to log in with the old password. Snipes will naturally fail.

I'm glad this was resolved in the end. Good luck with your snipes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.