Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Group Bids

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redchiz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Group Bids Reply with quote

OK, I'm new to this, so please bear with me. I have had a search, but cannot find the categoric answer I'm looking for.

There are currently four identical items listed and I want to get one. So I have grouped them together on eBay. Now, in Gixen, do I have to list each individual item and then put Group x alongside each one? Or just list the first one? And if successful on any one does Gixen then automatically cancel any subsequent scheduled snipes?
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest I don't really know what 'grouped them together on eBay' actually means... however I suspect its probably something to do with eBays 'bid assistant' (which should not be confused with a sniping service, it isnt because it submits bids as early as it can not as late as it can as gixen does)... anyway I digress what I am sure of is that grouping on eBay is not going to affect what gixen does.

So yes you need to add all of these to gixen and you need to make sure that they are all in the same group on gixen.

Quote:
And if successful on any one does Gixen then automatically cancel any subsequent scheduled snipes?

Yes, thats exactly what gixen grouping does.
redchiz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Group Bids Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
To be honest I don't really know what 'grouped them together on eBay' actually means... however I suspect its probably something to do with eBays 'bid assistant'

Sorry for my lack of clarity, I meant I chose "Bid with Bid Assistant" and then put the items in the same group. But your interpretation appears correct and you have answered my question (I think!) so thank you.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah right,

Well you definitely want to cancel your 'Bid Assistant' bids if you're also using gixen grouping... if you had them both placing bids for you that could end up with a real mess, you could end up winning more than one AND paying more than you need.

I recommend just sticking with gixen grouping as sniping yields better results than bidding as soon as possible like bid assitant does.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject:

mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redchiz, to confirm what Mark already said - you can't use both eBay bid assistant and Gixen at the same time. Gixen groups provide you with the same functionality as bid assistant, plus they submit your bids at the last moment (which bid assistant doesn't).
Cecilia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question with group bids, too. I put the two identical items in group 1, one finishes on Friday, the other on Saturday, but Gixen bid on the first one today! Shouldn't it bid on the first one five seconds before closing?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll investigate, what is the item_id Cecilia?
Cecilia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
I'll investigate, what is the item_id Cecilia?

It's 360021055045

Thanks! Smile
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cecilia, it most definitely wasn't Gixen who placed this bid early. Did you place it manually, used ebay bid assistant or some other sniping service?
Cecilia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
Cecilia, it most definitely wasn't Gixen who placed this bid early. Did you place it manually, used ebay bid assistant or some other sniping service?

Totally not me! Gixen is the first time I'm ever trying one of these snipe things, I've never used bid assistant either.

The time seems to coincide with the same time I was entering them into Gixen, though...

How can you tell it wasn't Gixen that did it? I don't want to blame the program (and it's not a biggie anyway if it did it, cause I was pretty much testing it anyway), but I don't have any other explanation, which is kinda frustrating :-/
Cecilia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. I entered the two items into Gixen earlier today, and it wasn't until this evening that I saw that the bid had been placed...I hadn't bid on anything!
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't know what happened - but again, I'm 100% certain it wasn't Gixen. If you log in to Gixen, you will see the status "scheduled". The logs contain no entry this bid has ever been picked up from the database to be sniped (and it's virtually impossible this would not be in the logs).
Cecilia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay. In any event, since there is a bid on it (by me), does Gixen know this? Will it cancel the other item that I have in the same group if I happen to win? Will it continue with the other item if I don't win? It wasn't too clear how this would work (at least not to someone not used to more sophisticated bidding than, okay, I'm gonna bid lol).
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, unfortunately not - Gixen is aware only of snipes it places itself. So it will not cancel subsequent snipes - you will have to watch for this yourself.
Cecilia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then to ask my original question: if Gixen had in fact placed the bid (and therefore knew about it), would it act that way in the event of winning/losing?

I'm just trying to understand in basics how the group thing works.
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cecilia wrote:
Then to ask my original question: if Gixen had in fact placed the bid (and therefore knew about it), would it act that way in the event of winning/losing?

I'm just trying to understand in basics how the group thing works.

I think you have it Cecilia... When gixen makes a group bid and subsequently detects that the bid it placed won the auction then all the rest of the snipes in that group are canceled.

So its most often used when there are many items that are the same or similar and you only want to win one of them.
Cecilia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:

So its most often used when there are many items that are the same or similar and you only want to win one of them.

Cool! Thanks Smile What a great site!!! I've been ebaying for years (mostly selling) and just learned a whole bunch of new stuff!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.