Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Thanks alot, ebay :evil:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
donovan_ns

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Thanks alot, ebay :evil: Reply with quote

So... mad.

After an hour, and two password changes, I've figured out what ebay is doing...

They FAIL the first login attempt (without the captcha), EVERY TIME. I've even copied the password and paste it into the password, so I know it's not a typo. On the page with the captcha, I can always successfully login.

So, essentially, I have no way to login to Gixen. GRRRRRRRRRRRR!
What a waste of some of my Saturday evening... I would go through the routine of changing my password, then try Gixen, it wouldn't work. So I'd logout of ebay and try to login again, and they'd fail the password on their own site. I'm so annoyed right now... Geez!

Thanks ebay! Evil or Very Mad
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try to login several time over the course of few days - captchas should eventually stop.
donovan_ns

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: ebay Live Help :) Reply with quote

Yes, I decided to pester some poor ebay Live Help person over this... Smile

See the bold for the acknowledge of the problem, which I fully suspected going into this...

Quote:
8:01:44 PM System
Initial Question/Comment: Password/Sign-In

8:01:50 PM System
Thank you for contacting eBay Live Help!

8:01:50 PM System
You are successfully connected to eBay Live Help. Please hold for the next available Live Help Agent.

8:02:05 PM System
Helpful Agent Guy has joined this session!

8:02:05 PM System
Connected with Helpful Agent Guy
8:02:10 PM Helpful Agent Guy
Hello, thanks for waiting and welcome to eBay Live Help! My name is <AGENT NAME>. How may I help you?

8:03:23 PM dono
<AGENT NAME>, ebay has been running me in circles, I've changed my password twice... only to find out that ebay ALWAYS FAILS my password when I attempt to login. I can only get logged in if I then provide the number on the retry screen. Why is ebay rejecting my password all the time?
8:03:36 PM dono
(er, always the first time)
8:04:51 PM dono
I would change my password, hit logout, and then ebay would fail the password immediately. It only works on the 2nd try. I am so angry at the stupid thing now, haha. Smile

8:05:52 PM Helpful Agent Guy
I'll be happy to help you with that! First, can I just confirm that I'm chatting with <MY FULL NAME>?
8:06:07 PM dono
That is me!

8:06:31 PM Helpful Agent Guy
Thank for confirmation.

8:06:46 PM dono
Not at all. Smile

8:07:15 PM Helpful Agent Guy
I will generate a new temporary password for you which will enable you to sign in into your eBay account.
8:07:52 PM Helpful Agent Guy
Your new password has been generated and sent to your registered email address "<MY EMAIL ADDRESS>" via email which you should receive in few minutes.
8:07:57 PM Helpful Agent Guy
Once you are logged-in using your temporary password, please change the temporary password.

8:08:09 PM dono
Will that keep ebay from failing the password the first time I enter it, each time? I can login to my account... I just have to do it twice (and thus it breaks Gixen).

8:08:30 PM Helpful Agent Guy
Please enter password sent by me as Old password while changing the password for your account.

8:10:40 PM dono
"Your user ID or password is incorrect. "
It would only take the temporary password when I entered it a second time, along with the numbers in the image.

8:11:24 PM Helpful Agent Guy
Have you received email sent by me and was able to log-in to your account using password I have sent you?

8:11:41 PM dono
Only after entered the new temporary password twice...

8:12:04 PM Helpful Agent Guy
Hmm...
8:12:19 PM Helpful Agent Guy
I'd request you to please change the password now.
8:13:25 PM Helpful Agent Guy
Would you like me to provide you the steps to change your password?

8:13:36 PM dono
I've changed it. The same thing happens.

8:14:18 PM Helpful Agent Guy
I trust that it might be happening due to cache memory of your browser.

8:14:24 PM dono
I've tried it on my desktop (IE), and notebook (Firefox).

8:14:37 PM Helpful Agent Guy
Let me right away help you get it cleared to get the issue resolved.

8:15:00 PM dono
The first time I enter the password, it is rejected, the second time with the additional image that I need to enter the number for, it is accepted. Rats.

8:15:53 PM Helpful Agent Guy
I can understand that it has been trying your patience, let us try to get it resolved by following few steps.
8:16:01 PM Helpful Agent Guy
To clear your browser's cache, please follow these steps:

1. Click the "Tools" icon in the upper right portion of the screen.
2. Click "Internet Options."
3. Select the "General" tab.
8:16:09 PM Helpful Agent Guy
4. Click the "Delete" button under the "Browsing history" section.
5. Click the "Delete files" button in the "Temporary Internet Files" section.

This will clear your cache. You may also click on the "Delete files" under the "History" heading. This may also speed up your access.
8:17:36 PM dono
Done.

8:19:?? PM Helpful Agent Guy
Perfect!
8:19:01 PM Helpful Agent Guy
Now please close al the windows and open a new window and try to log-in to your account.
8:19:14 PM Helpful Agent Guy
all*

8:22:27 PM dono
Yeah. It continues to do the same thing... I can get logged in, but only after putting my password in twice. The upshot of which, is that I cannot use Gixen... Someone else had a similiar problem recently, according to them,

8:22:32 PM Helpful Agent Guy
How's that going so far? I'm just checking that this chat is still active and that you're doing okay.

8:23:02 PM dono
"ebay was the problem ... not gixen ...
they want to verify me with a phone call ..
what a pain"
So I guess there is nothing I can do to fix it...

8:24:49 PM Helpful Agent Guy
Oh I completely understand and I'm very sorry you have to go through this.
8:24:49 PM Helpful Agent Guy
Let me quickly check this for you.

8:25:08 PM dono
Sure, Austin, sorry for the hassle Smile

8:27:55 PM Helpful Agent Guy
Thanks for waiting!
8:28:31 PM Helpful Agent Guy
I have checked it with My Supervisor and got it confirmed that it is happening due to security measures for you account.
8:28:49 PM Helpful Agent Guy
However, you may try to contact Gixen if they have any solution for it.

8:28:55 PM dono
Yes, I figured as much... Smile

8:30:14 PM dono
Their solution is to login a couple times over the next day until ebay decides to stop making me do the captchas. It's not Gixen's doing, so they can't fix it. Only ebay can. Their should be a procedure for me to confirm I am the owner of the account and stop with the captchas. Sad

8:32:31 PM Helpful Agent Guy
I am very sorry for the inconvinience, however it is done for security measures to protect your account from any un authorized activity.

8:33:11 PM dono
Yes, I understand. However, I have changed my password 4 times now. I'm pretty sure no one else will be using this account. Perhaps you could pass along my frustration with this.
8:33:23 PM dono
I do appreciate your time.

8:34:30 PM Helpful Agent Guy
I understand that how you might feel, as I am not able to make the changes to it now, I'll certainly pass your suggestion to MY Supervisor and I trust it'll be implemented.
8:34:55 PM Helpful Agent Guy
Thank you for understanding my situation.

8:35:11 PM dono
It certainly would be helpful. I work in IT, but this whole evening has been very frustrating. Thanks again.

8:35:33 PM Helpful Agent Guy
I'll right away convey your suggestion to My Supervisor.

8:35:47 PM dono
Thanks. Have a good evening, <AGENT NAME> Smile

Well, wasn't that fun Razz

Cheers,
...Dono
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Donovan...

This confirms that eBay does have some automated security measures that are out of reach for CSRs to disable / reset. Unfortunately, it doesn't help your situation at all - except to understand that, since they are automated, they may go away over some time period.

If they decide to introduce captcha on a regular basis for all the users, they will kill sniping all together.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject:

025276ul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: captcha Reply with quote

fun thing this it seems that everything seems like the nightmare He had that I had
not that I'm a cynic! by thinking ebay may have / will have thier own snipe feature but what away to get rid of the competition
Cupid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
If they decide to introduce captcha on a regular basis for all the users, they will kill sniping all together.

I think they would also lose some buyers as there is a sizeable minority of partially sighted users that can not handle them at all.

Interesting to consider if they might introduce their own sniping options:

1: If these were free then just about everyone would use them (myself included) they would be silly not to, this would fundamantally change the site into effectively being a sealed bid auction site, and that would inevitably reduce auction final values, thats not in eBays interest at all.

2: So the alternative would have to be for eBay to charge buyers to seal their bids, again a fundamental change where eBay starts charging buyers even if they don't buy anything, I can't really see how that helps their model either and makes them even less competitive compared to other sites, both fixed price and other auction sites.

3: Finally they might charge buyers an extra amount for sealed bids only if they win... again thats not something that I would foresee making eBay a more popular place to buy.
juangrande

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to believe this has nothing to do with sniping per se. If it did, one would expect this would be happening to everyone using Gixen. I think this just reflects that eBay is finally trying to implement some security measures to cut down on the incidence of hacked accounts. Unfortunately, users who bid with Gixen (or other sniping services) end up being caught in the "crossfire", so to speak. It is, of course, really frustrating for anyone caught up with this, but if eBay were ever able to effectively lock out the hackers, it would be a much nicer place for all of us.

I agree with Mark: it makes no sense for eBay to shut down sniping services. It would hit their bottom line too hard.

By the way: Welcome back, Mark!

Very Happy

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
nochkin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2 cents...
From my own experience eBay may put captcha when your password is too simple (contains dictionary word, contains part or the whole user id).

In ideal, your password has to be alpha-numerical without containing any parts of your user id. You can also put dashes just to make it more secure.

If you temp password did not work also, that means they put a block on this account for "security measure".
I would suggest to open another account if you don't care about your feedback. Or maybe another account just for sniping as I suggest to many people.
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that multiple eBay accounts can be usefull for a number of reasons. In this case if you have trouble with one and have another that could be used as a work around while the first account is unusable for automated sniping.

nochkin may also be correct about when such measures are triggered, however I also think the above story is from someone that would be well aware of password security and the need to obfuscate... so I agree with John that the application to some accounts is probably due to evidence that eBay have that hackers are increasingly automating their activities.

Its not fool proof against hackers though is it?. It only stops AUTOMATED processes from accessing an account once the password is compromised, I think perhaps eBay would be better advised to restrict access from suspect IP addresses than from using these measures, but what do I know its their game after all.

Of course eBay would need to assure that they did not restrict access from legitimate sniping services. I think perhaps their first attempt at this may have occured a few months ago when gixen did have some problems with captcha screens for many users, for a few hours. Surely eBay must be able to detect where legitimate sniping services are located and destinguish these from hacking activities... and if they really don't know how to do that I'm sure that either Mario or myself could give them some advice on what algorithms they should implement... I suspect my consultancy rate might be a bit higher than Marios though, hes more willing to donate his time for less reward than I am! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.