Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Why did my bid lose?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VNelson

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Why did my bid lose? Reply with quote

My bid, placed on your site days beforehand, was $8.24. The winning bid was $8.00, and your status message was BID UNDER ASKING PRICE.

Item: 230249927552
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bid increment at that price is 0.50 so eBay would not accept anything below $8.50 at the point where gixen tried to place your bid.

Thus gixens message is correct for this case.

I hope you have better luck next time, you can't win them all even with a service as good as this, can you?
VNelson

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: lost bid Reply with quote

I thought the increment rule on EBay did not apply if your bid was the highest, but I guess I'm wrong. Maybe that only applies if you use EBay's automatic bidding.

Yes, I agree, this is a great tool!
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bid incremant applies to the current auction price, in this case that was 8.00 at the point that gixen tried to submit your bid to eBay, 6 seconds before the auction ended. Your bid was never placed with eBay, thats the point of sniping.

Had your bid been placed when the auction price was lower it would have been accepted.. and it may have won, however I'm sure you realise that in the long run bidding earlier is a less successful strategy because others can then act on the fact that you have made a bid.

Last edited by Cupid on Tue May 13, 2008 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject:

nochkin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: lost bid Reply with quote

VNelson wrote:
I thought the increment rule on EBay did not apply if your bid was the highest, but I guess I'm wrong. Maybe that only applies if you use EBay's automatic bidding.

eBay increment rule applies on any bid, no matter how and when it was placed.
"Highest" is not enough, it must be higher (or equal) than current plus increment.
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: lost bid Reply with quote

nochkin wrote:
it must be higher (or equal) than current plus increment.

Ah no thats not quite true.

Consider a hypothetical auction with a starting price of 0.01. I bid 8.00, there are no other bids until you place a snipe of 8.01, then you win at that price. Its only if someone else places a bid between 7.5 and 8 that my proxy is used up and you have to bid 8.50 to win.
eabyduthie

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: outsniped? Reply with quote

Item number: 300222617062

My snipe of $93.81 was logged in May-13-08 09:40:16 PDT. It lost to a snipe of $93.83 which was logged in May-13-08 09:40:17 PDT.

Why wasn't the winning snipe at least $2.50 higher than my snipe?
nochkin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: lost bid Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
nochkin wrote:
it must be higher (or equal) than current plus increment.

Ah no thats not quite true.

Consider a hypothetical auction with a starting price of 0.01. I bid 8.00, there are no other bids until you place a snipe of 8.01, then you win at that price. Its only if someone else places a bid between 7.5 and 8 that my proxy is used up and you have to bid 8.50 to win.

I used word "current" meaning "current bid" -- that's 0.01 in your case. The 8.00 is not "current bid", it's your proxy bid.
When you go to any eBay auction, you will see "Currend bid: US $0.01", you won't see what is the actual bid (AKA proxy bid).
nochkin

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: outsniped? Reply with quote

eabyduthie wrote:
Item number: 300222617062

My snipe of $93.81 was logged in May-13-08 09:40:16 PDT. It lost to a snipe of $93.83 which was logged in May-13-08 09:40:17 PDT.

Why wasn't the winning snipe at least $2.50 higher than my snipe?

That's because "current bid" was 86.17 at that moment and winner had to put any price above yours by 1 penny to get it from you.
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: lost bid Reply with quote

nochkin wrote:
I used word "current" meaning "current bid"

Yes you are right I misuderstood your post I took "current" to mean "current highest bid" i.e my proxy at 8.0 in this hypothetical case. Earlier on this thread I used the term "current auction price" to mean the same thing as your "current"/"current bid".

The problem is we all use slightly different terminology for the same thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.