Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

US user sniping UK listings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gastric

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: US user sniping UK listings Reply with quote

I'm a US user. However, there's a UK listing I want to snipe. I did not change any of my Gixen settings and simply entered the UK listing number into Gixen and it appears to have found the correct auction and appears to have the correct time remaining value.

I did place one small incremental manual bid just to see if my US account could login and bid successfully, which it did.

However, I have no experience doing UK bid snipes so I have little confidence everything will work properly. In fact, after months of using Gixen I have yet to win a snipe yet as I'm always outbid by a few dollars a few seconds after my own bids, though I'm not necessarily saying that's Gixen's fault.

Has anyone done UK bids from US accounts?
Cupid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the United Kingdom, I bid on UK auctions using gixen all the time (though I do buy things worldwide as well), there are no issues with gixen in this respect it works fine.

eBay accounts are global you can use them on any site, but you can only bid on auctions that will ship to the location at which the account is registered.

A couple of things you should consider though, bear in mind the cost of shipping and be sure you know what you are going to be expected to pay for this if you win. Also dont forget that you are bidding in the currency of the auction, if its a UK listing that is most likely to be British Pounds, you can pay those using Paypal but you should consider how many dollars that is going to cost you and bid/snipe accordingly.
misnomer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering about this exact topic. When you place a bid amount for an eBay UK listing (from, say, a US or Canadian account), will it be in GBP? Or rather, will the bid be placed in the site's default currency (GBP for .co.uk, USD for .com, CAD for .ca, and so on)?

Say, there's a listing for 10 GBP and you put 12 in the "your bid" box. It's 12 GBP, not USD, correct?

I don't know how difficult it would be to implement, but perhaps having the currency displayed would be a cool new feature. :)
Cupid

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

misnomer wrote:
Say, there's a listing for 10 GBP and you put 12 in the "your bid" box. It's 12 GBP, not USD, correct?

Not exactly, all bidding on all eBay sites and all eBay auctions is in the currency of the auction. A UK listing could be in USD its just not as likely.

That applies to all biding through Gixen also, so you need to check each auction to see what the currency is before placing a snipe amount.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject:

misnomer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification, Cupid. I probably should have worded my question "is the Gixen bid amount in the same currency as the auction?" Would've been a lot less verbose, too. :)
nochkin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just need to make sure that seller will ship item in your country as some sellers put a requirement to block bidders which are registered in the countries they don't ship.

You can either ask or place a small bid. The last option is better as sometime sellers will answer "no restrictions" while they have it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.