Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Is being logged and refreshing a problem?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
phreddsmytthe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Is being logged and refreshing a problem? Reply with quote

I entered a bid of 14.03 about three hours before the auction ended and on closure received the message "This snipe may have been entered too late into Gixen and may not be executed." The closing price was 11.00.

At the time I was logged into Gixen and refreshed a few times in the last few seconds. Was I affecting Gixen's ability to snipe by doing this?

Thanks.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly - if you made an edit before that. I think I prevented refreshes from affecting existing snipes, but let me check. What is the item number?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sure happened - your refreshes made continuous deletes/inserts, preventing snipe from executing.

What I don't understand is - how this happened? I have a code in place that displays an error message ("Error: data re-posted. Please do not refresh your screen after edit by clicking on "Refresh") if you try to do a refresh after an edit.

What exactly did you do?
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Phreddsmytthe

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the auction was ending, I was logged into Gixen and hit F5 a few times just as I would do with Ebay, watching to see when it ended and what the outcome would be. It didn't occur to me that this might be interpreted by Gixen as an edit.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, but do you remember what you did before you hit F5?
nochkin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario,
You can simply redirect the user to the main page (with a list of snipes or check referer) after edit was done (redirect 302 will do).
This way they can refresh as many times as they like so the form won't be re-submitted.
Phreddsmytthe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had placed the bid three hours earlier and I think I increased the bid but that would have been at least 20 minutes before the end. At the end I was on the main page with all of my various bids listed. That was when I was hitting F5.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The time (how long before hitting F5) doesn't matter, only the action... However I still can't replicate the problem - F5/Refresh in my case (after doing an edit) does not cause this...
Phreddsmytthe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK thanks for trying. It was a lesson learned and, in the future, I'll avoid refreshing in the last few seconds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.