Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Gixen didn't snipe: too close to the end of the auction?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gixen n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Gixen didn't snipe: too close to the end of the auction? Reply with quote

This evening i tried Gixen for the first time. But there was a problem: I logged in at Gixen about 7 minutes before the closing of the auction. I wanted to add my item, but it didn't work out because it said something like:"it's too close to the ending of the auction?". ...My question: Is there a time limit on adding your items in Gixen? If there's no limit, what could have been the problem?
Maybe this?:
The item(160151793979) i wanted to snipe, was from a German seller who had a 'will ship to Germany' in his auction (Ebay.DE. I live in The Netherlands and have an NL account. Normally if i bid on a foreign auction (with seller's permission of course), Ebay will say something like: 'Maybe this item will not be available to you'...Then you click further and the bid will be placed anyway...Could this cause problems in Gixen?..: Trying to snipe an foreign item that's 'officially' not available for you?

Thanks in advance! Bye!
PS (I'm a Gixen n00b, but i used Auctionstealer in the past..since they have only 3 free snipes a week, i wanted to try Gixen)
juangrande

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you must enter your bids in Gixen at least 2 minutes before the auction closes. The reason for this is that Gixen must have time to both enter your bid and confirm it (the same as if you entered it manually).

You are also correct that if eBay puts any extra layers of confirmation screens in the bidding process, Gixen will not be able to place your bid. In this case it might be a good idea to place a low initial bid in order to get by those roadblocks, but I'm not sure that would fix the problem. Perhaps Mario can answer this.

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juangrande wrote:
Perhaps Mario can answer this.

I agree, I have seen the screen that you mention, (when a seller has pointed out an auction to me that is on a different site from my own), I can only see such auctions from my site by knowing the auction number so its rare for me to pick them up as I only search from my local site.

I would imagine that since gixen always bids from the .com site that either this screen does not apply to .com or that Mario has coded to get round this screen and carry on to place the bid... but only Mario can tell us.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juangrande wrote:
You are also correct that if eBay puts any extra layers of confirmation screens in the bidding process, Gixen will not be able to place your bid. In this case it might be a good idea to place a low initial bid in order to get by those roadblocks, but I'm not sure that would fix the problem. Perhaps Mario can answer this.

I don't think that initial low bid will remove future readblocks, but it may reveal if any exist, thus preventing disappointment.

I already removed several of them by adding appropriate code that handles them, and I don't know of any roadblocks at the moment Gixen can't handle, but it's always possible new ones will arise in the future.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject:

Cupid

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:

I already removed several of them by adding appropriate code that handles them, and I don't know of any roadblocks at the moment Gixen can't handle, but it's always possible new ones will arise in the future.

I've been thinking about this one some more and I now think that this extra confirmation page is related to the registered location of the bidder and the destinations that a seller will post to... and not as I first thought on the site from which the bid is actually placed which I feel should be irelevant.

The way eBay searches work if you search from your home site it is not possible to see auctions that do not deliver to your location (or at least I don't know how to make it see them)... so in order to get to this screen I think it is first necessary to search outside your home site, or be alerted to an auction that you can't see by a seller that knows (from your previous activity) that you may be interested in their item, both I think are rare (probably more common in mainland Europe than elsewhere). Consequently I have only seen the screen once or twice though I've bid on many thousands of auctions (in fact probably in the order of 10000) over the past few years.

So in summary I think its worth bearing in mind as a possible roadblock that has not (yet) been overcome if and when someone gets a problem bidding on items that officially can not be delivered to their bidder id location.

This is not one that I can really help to test very often as I dont go searching other eBay sites (its usually unproductive to have to communicate with the sellers in English, establish whether they will actually send to me and then get the actual cost of postage they will charge, for the savings I can make that way its not worth my time and effort). However, when I do get another auction that I recognise has this feature for me I will let you know whether gixen manages to place the bid... That may take quite a few months for me though.... so if anyone else has experience of bidding when this feature is present, using gixen, please could they let us know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.