Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

snipe did not work

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: snipe did not work Reply with quote

I placed $125.55 snipe for ebay item 190153733537 but snipe was not placed.

The winning bid was only $88.00

Thanks Sad
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy, are you sure you have not deleted / edited this snipe before auction end? Because all I can see here is a snipe that was deleted before auction end.
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be a problem that a number of users experience doesn't it?

My guess would be that people are not realising that if they push that 'Edit' button what in fact happens is it gets deleted... they then decide no, I'm happy with it but don't push the 'Add' button again (as they don't realise they have to) and the result is they have just deleted their snipe.

So what I'm saying is that perhaps the 'problem' here is with the counter intuitive design of this 'Edit' function.

Personally I'm happy with it as I know how it works, but perhaps there needs to be, at least, an FAQ on this.

I imagine that to change the design to a more intuitive:

1: Populate, but don't delete, on pushing the 'Edit' button.
2: Update the original snipe on subsequently pushing the 'Add' button (perhaps renamed in this case to be an 'Update' button.

... would cause you more problems to implement?
juangrande

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, there is a FAQ on this: see Can I change my bid after I've entered it in Gixen? in the FAQ. Moreover, the message

Warning, item deleted. Edit below and press Add.

is displayed at the top of the page after clicking the [Edit] button.

However, your suggestion to not delete the original snipe until the [Add] button is clicked seems to be a good suggestion. It would be more intuitive for the average user: only programmers think "edit" means "delete original and then replace with new version". (Hey! I resemble that remark!) Very Happy

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject:

Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juangrande wrote:
Mark, there is a FAQ on this: see Can I change my bid after I've entered it in Gixen? in the FAQ. Moreover, the message

Warning, item deleted. Edit below and press Add.

is displayed at the top of the page after clicking the [Edit] button.

However, your suggestion to not delete the original snipe until the [Add] button is clicked seems to be a good suggestion. It would be more intuitive for the average user: only programmers think "edit" means "delete original and then replace with new version". (Hey! I resemble that remark!) Very Happy

Yes I stand (actually sit) corrected, there is an FAQ, and yes that big red message had not eluded me... but it probably has others!... I know how little some people read of eBay listings before deciding to bid very large amounts ... which the scammers rely on so that these poor souls can't claim its 'Not as described'... we all know it still goes on, Caveat emptor as they (used to) say.

Anyway back on subject, actually I am an 'old school' programmer (haven't done any for about 6 months now, mind you), perhaps thats why I'm comfortable with the operation myself, having seen many implementations that use the same design pattern.

Yes I still think my suggestion would make sense and I think it would also involve removing the 'Sorry that item is already present' message (well something like that) that would probably not be a bad loss though would it?
nochkin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many people don't read FAQ for these kind of stuff. "Edit" is edit, nothing else.
I personally don't think it's a good design idea to delete it when you just clicked "Edit".

Why don't just edit it when "Submit" clicked?
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it was easier to implement it this way. I should stop being lazy and do it the right way.
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
I should stop being lazy and do it the right way.

I don't think 'lazy' would be s description that anyone here would have for you.. But if you want to apply it to yourself I guess we can't really complain! Wink
nochkin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:
mario wrote:
I should stop being lazy and do it the right way.

I don't think 'lazy' would be s description that anyone here would have for you.. But if you want to apply it to yourself I guess we can't really complain! Wink

Sometimes when you do a big project then you allow yourself to skip some things here and there, make it more simple to design (and develop).. assuming that "some day" you will get back and "do it the right way".
Unfortunately, it happens. I usually call it "bad design", but "being lazy" is a good name too Smile As long as mario aware of it then it's safe.. for a while.

Anyway, "some day" will come eventually Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.