Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

Increments

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sushi_16au

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Increments Reply with quote

Hi there,
I just won an auction by 4c! Very Happy I was wondering how I managed to do that - I thought the increment rule came in? My max bid was $126.89 and another persons was $126.85. They bid about 45 secs before the auction ended and Gixen came in for me 5 secs before the auction ended and I won!! Is it because at the auction end the actual bid was not at the other persons maximum?
Cheers,
Suzanne (sushi_16au)
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to me like you have pretty much answered your own question.

Without seeing the actual auction and the bid history I can not be certain.

What I can be certain of is how eBay bidding works in terms of increments... the incremant is based on the current auction price and has nothing to do with what someone has actually bid (they might be the same value if their whole proxy is spent but that is pretty much irrelevant)... So if the auction price stood at anything less than one incremant below your bid at the time that gixen made it for you then eBay will accept it... and you will win if it is the highest bid placed before the auction closes.... It sounds like that is exactly what happened in this case.

To sumarise whatever price the auction finishes it is always possible to win by 1c (or 1p depending on currency)
juangrande

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to elaborate on what Cupid said: the increment is based on the "current bid" (which used to be called "current price" and IMHO still should be). The "current bid" is either the starting bid or the second-highest bid plus one bid increment at that point in time.

Since you won the auction for $126.89, when your competitor bid $126.85, the second-highest bid was no more than $126.89 - $2.50 = $124.39 (and was probably much lower); otherwise, eBay would not have accepted your bid. So yes, the current bid showing when Gixen entered your bid had to be $126.89 or less. But that's what you said in your original post. Smile

If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else.
--- Yogi Berra
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Support All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

© 2006 - 2023 Gixen.com. Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group.