Username
Password
Login is SSL protected. By clicking on "Log in Now" you agree to gixen.com terms of usage.

SearchSearch     

New Target settings for eBay country sites

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: New Target settings for eBay country sites Reply with quote

Now, if you choose so, Gixen can submit your bids on following eBay country sites:

eBay Italy (ebay.it)
eBay France (ebay.fr)
eBay Austria (ebay.at)
eBay Netherlands (ebay.nl)
eBay Spain (ebay.es)
eBay Singapore (ebay.com.sg)
eBay Ireland (ebay.ie)
eBay Philippines (ebay.ph)
eBay Switzerland (ebay.ch)
eBay Belgium (ebay.be)

This is in addition to the choices you already had before:

eBay US (ebay.com)
eBay Canada (ebay.ca)
eBay UK (ebay.co.uk)
eBay Australia (ebay.com.au)
eBay Germany (ebay.de)

This is "Target" setting on the Gixen settings page. Why does this matter, you may ask?

In most cases, e.g. if everything goes right, it doesn't - your bid is as good on ebay.com as it is on any of these sites, and most items are visible on all country sites.

However, if something goes wrong, e.g. you need to file a dispute with the seller or insurance claim, the country site determines which eBay support center you will contact, and what terms and insurance coverage applies. If you e.g. live in Germany and your native language is German, it is much more convenient to contact eBay's German support center than the US one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mario,

Would making a change in this Target setting possibly bring up issues with bidding on an item from a seller who has allowed their ads to be only visible on, let's say, the .com version of the website?

I recall having had issues once or twice, where a bid could only be made through a specific local Ebay website.

Most bargains I find seem to be ads that are only visible on some local Ebay websites, which also might be the .com website for US sellers. I'm a bit afraid that when I set my target to my local .nl website, last minute bids might be blocked on US-only ads because coming from .nl?

Thanks, Bart.
mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bart,

The same settings are used to add item to Gixen, and to place a bid. So if you can add item to Gixen, placing a bid will work.
rstl99

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Target Reply with quote

Hi Mario,

I'm confused about the new Target feature announcement.
Currently the Target section of my settings has both Main and Mirror target sites set at default "United States", even though I live in Canada.

I regularly buy items from US, France, Germany, UK, and occasionally from Spain, Italy, etc.

So I'm not really sure what to change the Main and Mirror target sites to, if anything. Do I have to change that every time I'm interested in an item in a country outside the USA?

Please clarify. Thank you.
Gixen
Advertisements

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Target

mario
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No - for Canada it doesn't matter much whether you use ebay.com or ebay.ca. eBay policies are similar or the same, customer support is obviously in English in both countries, and timezones match as well.

You don't have to change anything. Do not change your target settings to Germany, Spain or Italy (even though you buy items from there), unless you want to practice speaking foreign languages with European eBay customer support.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks Mario.
I was wondering if I was supposed to change the mirror site in my settings to France if I was buying from there, but sounds like there is no advantage to do so and just leave them both as USA. I do speak French by the way, so was just wondering if there was an advantage to have the mirror set to the ebay site of the country where the item I want to buy is located. Would be a pain to change it depending on the item. So glad I can just leave it alone.

Gixen has served me very well to date, keep up the good work.
--Robert

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
Bart,

The same settings are used to add item to Gixen, and to place a bid. So if you can add item to Gixen, placing a bid will work.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mario wrote:
Bart,

Hi Mario,

Unfortunately this weekend the above has proven not true (for the first time, never happened before).
I could add the item to Gixen without any problem, but at the moment of truth my bid wasn't placed, the auction end notice email saying: "Item cannot be purchased. Item cannot be purchased. Seller does not provide shipping to the country or region of your primary shipping address."

Can you look into this?

Is there any way to tell beforehand if a bid is gonna work out or not? For the next US bid, just to be sure, I have changed my primary address to my US package forwarder's address that I usually use for US Ebay purchases. But since I'm usually using Gixen to bid on items from many different countries, this isn't really a neat solution.

Hope to hear from you Smile
Thanks!
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
"Item cannot be purchased. Item cannot be purchased. Seller does not provide shipping to the country or region of your primary shipping address."

This is a different problem from that discussed (and refuted by Mario as you quote) earlier in this thread. Sellers have options to restrict where they are prepared to ship items, most however don't do so. When they do the issue can not be resolved by placing the bid via a different satellite site, the outcome can only be changed by changing your delivery address to be one that the seller is willing to ship to.

There isn't a reliable way to check whether or not this restriction is in place, other than by placing a bid, because these restrictions can be imposed (or not) on a listing by listing basis if the seller so wishes, but you can usually assume that if you've had this issue with a seller once that they might well have set their default shipping options to restrict bidding in this way.

So you can either place test bids, or you can have many different Ebay accounts each with shipping addresses within the country where the auction was listed, even that isn't guaranteed to always work, there are a few (mostly Russian in my experience) sellers that refuse to ship to their own country, not that it causes an issue for me of course since I don't live there.

Last edited by Cupid on Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:19 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:

This is a different problem from that discussed (and refuted by Mario as you quote) earlier in this thread. Sellers have options to restrict where they are prepared to ship items, most however don't do so. When they do the issue can not be resolved by placing the bid via a different satellite site, the outcome can only be changed by changing your delivery address to be one that the seller is willing to ship to.

Thanks for your reply!

The thing is though, that I bid all the time on items from sellers that do not offer shipping to my primary address's country, and never had any problems.
Or is there a difference between not offering shipping to a country, and "restricting" it as you say?
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Or is there a difference between not offering shipping to a country, and "restricting" it as you say?

Yes there is, the first is just an omission in setting the cost, which is also the default operation, the second is an active choice not to allow bidders that have delivery addresses in certain countries and is used much less frequently by Ebay sellers.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cupid wrote:

Yes there is, the first is just an omission in setting the cost, which is also the default operation, the second is an active choice not to allow bidders that have delivery addresses in certain countries and is used much less frequently by Ebay sellers.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up! I'll go for the test bids then.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just signed up to Gixen.
I am confused by this. I am in UK. I hate the way some internal ebay links go to the .com site, whereas most stay on .co.uk site. It's a real pain and I have complained many times as ebay often gets confused with which one I am logged into. I want to target my snipes to UK site, and keep everything on there. Is it safe to change my 'target ebay site' settings to UK? I would prefer that but the help text makes me wonder if things are less reliable when doing that. Please confirm. thanks
Cupid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
the help text makes me wonder if things are less reliable when doing that. Please confirm. thanks

That is concerning, can you please give more detail about which piece of text makes you think it is less reliable to target the UK site using Gixen.

Anyway, to put your mind at rest, I am also a UK resident and I have all my Gixen settings pointing to the UK site, and I've always found them to be just as reliable as the default (.com) settings.

It only really makes a difference, in any case when selecting the links on the snipes page... or only slightly more significantly with Target settings, if you end up in a dispute with a seller over a purchase that was made via Gixen, which local laws apply to the transaction... but practically the Ebay rules for buyers and sellers are pretty much the same in all jurisdictions anyway.

Last edited by Cupid on Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Ottovonman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but it seems a good place for my question regarding having two different sites targeted by main/mirror:
I'd prefer to be covered by the dispute process in my home country, but would setting the mirror to a different site offer extra redundancy or some other benefit?
Thanks.
Cupid

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you get extra redundancy in that if for some reason your home site is down/not accepting bids then your bid can still be placed.

Of course you'd set up your offset to be higher for your home site so that most often that is the one that wins since that is your preference and the other server, bidding elsewhere, only gets to bid when your home site is down.

That said it's very rare for any Ebay site to be down... and even when it has happened in my experience they all go at the same time.

Also worth considering that Gixen submits the bids via a different route than you bidding directly on your Ebay site, so it's possible that route would not be blocked even if your home site is not available to take bids.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gixen.com Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: